Monday, November 30, 2009

This must be what it's like to the be cobbler's child.

If you're on Facebook, then you know that FB is a little bit of an obsession with me.  You'll also probably notice that I haven't been on in a few days.  Well.... it was a bad week for our computer.  Jeff is a computer guy, and a very, very good one at that.  He manages the team that manages thousands of desktops at Barclays.  So, since I'm married to a computer whiz, I've turned over all responsibility in that area to him.  Jeff likes to keep us up to date, and that means that we're always on the latest and greatest version of Windows and we just recently updated to Windows 7 - the OS to solve all problems.  Unfortunately, we had a mishap.  Accidentally, all of our pictures for the last two years (the pics that have been uploaded since the last update) were deleted. 

Now, I consider myself a rational person, I do have a temper, but my control over my inner monologue is good and I generally don't say things in anger.  I have to be pushed pretty darn far, and I have some friends who would be happy to attest to the fact that it's not pretty when I do lose control.  I can't recall a time in our marriage, or even before our marriage where I have yelled at Jeff with the spectacular variety of curse words and recriminations that I did the night before Thanksgiving when we realized what had happened.  All the while, I knew of course that Jeff would have turned himself inside out to undo the mistake, but I just wanted to be mad for a while.

So needless to say, I've mostly come to terms with it now and if you have any pictures of us from 2008- 2009, please forward them on!  Jeff is doing his best to try to recover things and that's why I haven't been online for the past few days.  Basically, until he could take the hard drive to work and see if anything is on there, we didn't want to write over any more old information.  It's our very own forensic computer search. 

Here's to a better week!!!

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Yeesh, I'm so sorry. When I get home I'll check for any pictures. This serves as a cautionary tale for me to avoid any sort of computer software upgrade, as if something like that can happen to someone as knowledgeable as Jeff, I can only imagine what would happen to me. The computer companies want us to think of their products as reliable, but clearly that's a myth. I am flummoxed how to reconcile "windows was my idea" ads with "all my pictures are lost." Here's hoping for good news today when Jeff gets the hard drive to work.

Staying in Balance said...

Oh no!!! Personally, I think things should work. Cars. Computers. Things. Should. Work. Sadly, they don't always. And, of course, they've already succeeded in getting us addicted to them. I hope you get a good number of your pictures back.