Friday, April 23, 2010

I remembered...

So, I remembered what I was going to write about last night...  the adventures of my car.   Last week, I was sitting at a stop light, when BAM!, my car gets hit.  I thought that I had been rear ended, so I put the car in park and got out to look accusingly at the person behind me. 

When I got out to look however, the person behind me was far behind me, no way she'd hit me.  I looked around and saw my driver side passenger door and there's an enormous dent in it.  On the ground next to my car was a tire.  Just a tire.  I looked around to find the car that must be pulled over with three tires.  There's none to be found.  I must have had the dumbest look on my face, cause the woman in the car behind me yells out the window that the tire fell off a truck going the other way. 

I got back in the car, after wrestling with whether or not I should take the tire with me, and started towards home.  I decided that it must have fallen out of the bed of a truck, cause surely if it was off a moving vehicle, it would have had to stop.  Grumbling to myself about insurance deductibles, I stopped at the stoplight in front of my development.  That was when I banged a U-turn and went in search of the vehicle with the missing tire.  And about two miles up the road there was a truck pulling a horse trailer pulled over, driver and passenger on the side of the road.  I pulled up behind him and asked out the window, "Did you lose a tire?" They nodded... yay me!  Mystery solved.  The horse trailer had "duelie" tires, two tires on the back and one had come off.  The driver was on the phone, and I lost my temper a bit when he didn't hang up to talk to me.  "You hit me and I have a two week old in the car!  You need to deal with me." I told him.  This got him moving.

Because it's me this happened to, of course there's a weird twist.  The truck and trailer didn't belong to the driver or passenger, turns out they were just driving the horses from Delaware Park for their trainers.  And they didn't speak English.  And they couldn't find the registration or insurance.  I asked the driver for his boss' phone number and he hands me his Iphone with the contact name "Boss" with a number listed.  Skeptical, I asked him to call it.  Sure enough, a nice lady answered and I explained what happened.  She gave me all the information I needed and I went on my merry way, all proud of myself, feeling like Cagney or Lacey (well, I always feel like Lacey I guess) for having discovered the tire's owner. 

Again, because it's me and I live in Delaware, there's another weird thing... I was at swim lessons for the girls when I saw another mommy I know.  She's a horse trainer too and I told her what had happened.  She looked very surprised and pointed at another mom, "That was her trailer." What?  The number I'd called was a Florida number, and the insurance company had confirmed the truck was registered in Florida.  Turns out, the owners live half the year here, and her kid is in swim lessons at the same time as mine.  So I introduced myself and told her that her insurance company was very nice.  It was slightly awkward!

So for a couple days, I got to drive a Chrysler Town and Country - ahh... that's how the other half lives.  Ellie actually offered to give me her allowance so we could buy it.  Keep dreaming honey.  We're driving the Blueberry until the wheels fall off.... wait a minute... I know someone that happened too!

No comments: