Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Teacher Maggie

So much of parenting is recapturing your own sense of wonder.  I think it's easy as adults to forget that our kids are exploring and learning all the time, and that they don't have "places to go and people to see".  Every morning, as we try to get everyone ready and out the door, I silently curse the girls "surprise" that I need them to get dressed and fed and combed.  We do this everyday girls, I say everyday. 

Today, I was hurrying Maggie out the door and she was not paying attention.  I started to count, "Maggie, get in the car before I get to 5 or I'll take your toy away... 1, 2" only to be interrupted by her saying in an equally frustrated voice, "I'm getting you a present!" Sure enough, she comes around the car holding a branch from our forsythia bush.  It was beautiful and sweet, and I was reminded that sometimes you just got to let your kids be late to school so that they can learn. 

No comments: