Friday, June 26, 2009

Jack stats and smells

Little Jack Sprat is truly my littlest... he's a svelte 19 pounds and not quite 30 inches. For a baby that was born almost 10 pounds, he's really slimmed down this year. Doc says it's probably cause he's so active.

Poor Jack had a bad day though, three shots at the doctors, and because I'm a paranoid mom, I mentioned another issue to Dr. Field. Jack has the stinkiest pee, I mean, really rank, and I'm somewhat of an expert on kid pee. So before we left, the doctor fitted Jack for a "urine catch", which basically means a sandwich baggie gets stuck to his penis and scrotum with a sticky note. So after grabbing a quick bribery Happy Meal for big sister Ellie, we headed over to LabCorp to get his blood drawn and turn in the bag o' pee.

Here in Delaware, it's mandatory that all one year olds get tested for lead poisoning, and Dr. Field recommended that we go ahead and get a renal panel done, just in case the pee turns out to be a problem. With the girls, the blood draws were no problem at all, in and out, no tears. Jack... well, that was another story all together. She first stuck his left arm and got nothing. My kid apparently has no blood at all in his left arm. Then she stuck the right arm and got a "flash", and then nothing. By this point, Jack is screaming his fool head off. I'm a strong woman and I can take a lot in the name of good health, but it was nearly too much for me. In both arms, she was basically fishing around for a vein and kept saying "the baby's roll terribly". I'm sure that they do, but wow. I pulled the plug on the fishing expidition, and we'll just have to go back on Monday. At least it made him pee, and we got the baggie off his bits.

As if to demonstrate his extreme displeasure, Jack proceeds to take the grossest, smelliest crap while I'm getting my bag and Ellie together. Stunk up the whole darn lobby. Whoops!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Awww poor Jack! No fun at all!