Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lacey Bed and Breakfast

Some of you may already know that my friend Andee and her son are staying with us for an extended stay while she awaits the birth of her baby. Her son is also named Jack, so by way of clearing things up, we're referring to him as "Big Jack". Big Jack is just a couple weeks younger than Ellie and she's pleased as punch to have a friend to play with who "gets it". Though we call him Big Jack, he's actually a peanut - actually shorter than Maggie and he only weighs 29 pounds. By contrast, Maggie is 38 pounds. So Big Jack is taking some lumps as he gets used to being in a house with two girls that can seriously throw down.

Andee is expecing a second baby boy and hasn't yet picked a name for this little man. I'm amusing myself by throwing random names at her to see if any of them stick. So far, no good, but there's always hope. The most exciting part for me is that I get to see this baby be born. Andee has asked me to act as a kind of doula at the birth and I'm honored to fill the role. I'm a little nervous, since I've never been on the other end, so to speak. I can't wait to meet little... Andrew? David? James?

After Andee leaves, we will be welcoming Caroline Amie, a young lady we met when we were in France last year. She has asked if we would be willing to host her so she can work on her English. She's written to say that she also knows how to cook, do laundry, iron and wants to help with the kids... can you say Au Pair? Woo hoo! Actually I'm looking at it as a great experience for my kids to meet someone from another country, and who knows, maybe when Ellie's 15 she'll be able to go to France for a couple weeks!

I guess that it may seem like a lot to have people staying all summer, but we so love having company and our house is set up nicely for guests to have privacy. Just call us Motel 1116 and we'll leave the light on for you.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I'm thinking of coming for a weekend away. Got any vacancies? ;-)